REGISTRATION: Register in TISS and TUWEL before the initial meeting. The literature list will be regarded as the official seminar registration and you will receive a grade in the end. Due to Corona, the entire course will be online. Zoom links will be shared in the TUWEL course.
INITIAL MEETING: Will be held on 2.10.2020 15:00-16:00 (s.t.) via Zoom.
COMMUNICATION: Updates and announcements are published via the announcements forum in the TUWEL course. For urgent issues, please write me an e-mail.
The goal of this seminar is to write and present a state-of-the-art report and to write a review on another report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in a 15 minutes talk. While it is structured similarly to the Bachelor Seminar Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten
it differs in that basic knowledge of scientific working is already assumed, therefore expectations are higher with regard to researching basic papers and deeper understanding of a more specialized topic.
Tasks for the students:
Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- A list of literature that a student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of 3 lectures.
- A written state of the art report in the form of a scientific paper. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 written pages (15-16 pages, if students are working in groups of two). The preferred language is English. See State of the Art in Surface Reconstruction from Point Clouds by Berger at al. as an example.
- A written review of another student's report.
- A 15 minutes presentation in English followed by a 5 minutes discussion.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
- 2.10.2020 15:00-16:00: In this initial meeting, we present the topics and assigned them to students.
- 18.10.2020: Submit literature list. This will be regarded as the official seminar registration.
- TBD: Forschung und wie sie funktioniert by Professor Eduard Gröller
- TBD: Wie halte ich einen Vortrag by Professor Werner Purgathofer
- TBD: Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit by Professor Michael Wimmer
- 20.12.2020: Submit your report for review.
- 10.01.2020: Submit your review of another student's report.
- 21.01.2020 16:00-18:00: Test your presentation setup: slides, camera and microphone via Zoom screen-sharing.
- 22.01.2020 10:00-15:00: Presentations will be held via Zoom. Presence of the students is mandatory. A camera and student ID card are necessary to verify the attendance.
- 31.01.2020: Submit the camera-ready version your report.
- The quality of the written report is worth 40% of the grade
- The quality of the presentation is worth 30% of the grade
- The quality of the review is worth 20% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
- Attendance during the lectures is worth 5% of the grade
Submitting any item after the deadline is penalized by deduction of 1% per started hour being late. Each submission must be positive (>50% of points). The first report submission will not be graded but must be a complete paper.
All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. For further information about referencing, see this guide
and our guidelines
. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.