REGISTRATION: Please register in TISS before the initial meeting. You will be enrolled in the seminar if you submit a list of literature covering your chosen topic until 28.03.2020.
INITIAL MEETING: (Vorbesprechung) for SS 2019 is on 10.03.2019 11:00 - 12:00 in the seminar room 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11/5.floor), where also research topics are presented and assigned. The slides of that meeting will be available here. The topic assignment is on TUWEL.
FIRST PART OF COURSE: Beginning of March you have to attend three lectures including an exam, which has to be passed in order to continue with the second part listed here. This first part is organized separately and identical across the institutes, please refer to the TISS course page for all information.
COMMUNICATION: Updates and announcements are published via the announcements forum in the TUWEL course. For urgent issues, please write an e-mail.
Goal:The goal of this seminar is to write and present a state of the art report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in a 15 minutes talk.
Tasks for the students:Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- A list of literature that a student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of the lectures "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" by Professor Eduard Gröller, the lecture "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" by Professor Werner Purgathofer, and the lecture "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" by Professor Michael Wimmer. You can ask for a waiver in case you have already attended one of these talks.
- A written state of the art report in the form of a scientific paper. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 written pages (16 pages for groups of two students). The preferred language is English.
- A 15 minutes presentation in English followed by a 5 minutes discussion.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
s.t. = sin tempore = punctual
c.t. = cum tempore = 15 minuten later
All meetings will take place in the building Favoritenstr. 9-11
- 10.03.2020: Initial meeting at 11:00 in Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186) (Favoritenstr. 9-11). In this meeting the topics and the introduction of the course will be presented and assigned.
- 05.04.2020: Submit a list of literature on TUWEL.
- Attend the following lectures (they all take place in the seminar room of the
institute 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11 / 5.floor):
- 01.04.2020 (Wed), 11:00-13:00 (s.t.): "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" / "How to write a scientific publication", by Professor Wimmer
- 21.04.2020 (Tue), 11:00-13:00 (s.t.): "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" / "Science and how it works", by Professor Gröller
- 13.05.2020 (Wed), 11:00-13:00 (s.t.): "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" / "How to do a presentation", by Professor Purgathofer
- 24.05.2020: Submit your report for review.
- 28.05.2020: You will receive a report from another student for review with this review form.
- 07.06.2020: Submit the completed review.
- 12.06.2020: You will receive two reviews for your paper (one from your supervisor and one from another student). Use the information provided in the reviews to improve your report accordingly.
- 21.06.2020: Submit the slides for your presentation. The slides should be in Open-Office, Power-Point format or PDF. The slides will be copied on the presentation PC in the seminar room. No own devices will be allowed.
- 22.06.2020: Talks will be held from 10:00 - 15:00
in the Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186) (Favoritenstr. 9-11)online, probably via Goto-Meeting. Presence of the students is mandatory.
- 28.06.2020: Submit the camera-ready version of your report.
Grading CriteriaThe seminar is split into two parts. The first (central) part accounts for 17% of the grade. The second part will account for 83% of the grade. The second part (83% of the grade) consists of:
- The quality of the camera-ready report is worth 40% of the grade
- The quality of the presentation is worth 30% of the grade
- The quality of the review is worth 20% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
- Attendance during the lectures is worth 5% of the grade
Plagiarism:All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. You can have further information about referencing and examples of what is plagiarism here. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.
- LaTeX templates, ACM SIGGRAPH (rendering group) or IEEE TVCG (visualization group), to be used for composing the report
- Libre Office or PowerPoint template for the student presentations
- "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" (by E. Gröller).
- "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" (by M. Wimmer).
- "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" (by W. Purgathofer).
Paper search engines
- Free preprints of published and not (yet) published papers
- The Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies
- ACM Digital Library, SIGGRAPH Proceedings
- IEEE Computer Society Digital Library
Tips for writing papers and preparing presentations
- How to write a scientific paper
- Important Tips for presentation (in German)
- Tips and Suggestions for Presentations
- A not so short introduction to LaTeX
- Netspeak, one word leads to another.
- Thesaurus, an online engine to search thesaurus.
- Editsaurus, a free online grammar and spelling checker
- Grammarly, a free online grammar and spelling checker
- Overleaf, a free online LaTeX editor
- TeXworks, a free cross-platform LaTex package (Linux, MacOS, Windows)
- Tex Live, a free cross-platform LaTex package (Linux, MacOS, Windows)
- LaTeX Workshop, a free plug-in for Visual Studio Code
- MiKTeX, free distribution of LaTeX for Microsoft Windows
- TexnicCenter is an IDE for developing LaTeX documents on Microsoft Windows