REGISTRATION: Please register in TISS before the initial meeting. You will be enrolled in the seminar, if you submit a list of literature covering your chosen topic by 25.10.2016.
INITIAL MEETING: (Vorbesprechung) for WS 2017/18 will be held on Wednesday, 4.10.2016 11:00-12:00 (s.t.) in the seminar room of the institute 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11/5.floor).
Slides of initial meeting: will be available after the meeting.
COMMUNICATION: please use e-mail. Updates during the course are sent via TISS.
Goal:The goal of this seminar is to write and present a state-of-the-art report and to write a review on another report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in a 15 minutes talk. Students will have the option to work alone on a topic or in groups of two.
Tasks for the students:Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- A list of literature that a student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of the lectures "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" by Professor Eduard Gröller, the lecture "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" by Professor Werner Purgathofer, and the lecture "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" by Professor Michael Wimmer. You can ask for a waiver in case you have already attended one of these talks.
- A written state of the art report in the form of a scientific paper. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 written pages (15-16 pages, if students are working in groups of two). The preferred language is English.
- A written review of one of the papers of another student.
- A 15 minutes presentation in English followed by a 5 minutes discussion. The slides are to be submitted prior to the talk to the organizer.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
- 04.10.2017: Initial meeting at 11:00 - 12:00 (s.t.) in the seminar room of the institute 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11 / 5.floor). In this meeting the topics will be presented and assigned to students.
- 25.10.2017: Submit list of literature to your supervisor and the organizer. This will be regarded as the official seminar registration.
- Attend the following lectures (they all take place in the seminar room of the
institute 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11 / 5.floor):
- 10.11. 14:00-16:00 (s.t.) "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit", by Professor Wimmer
- 23.11. 13:00-15:00 (s.t.) "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert", by Professor Gröller
- 29.11. 11:00-13:00 (s.t.) "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag", by Professor Purgathofer
- 04.12.2017: Submit a report draft to your supervisor and the organizer. This report version will be used as a basis for the review process.
- 11.12.2017: Download the review form and receive a report from another student.
- 18.12.2017: Submit the completed review to your supervisor and the organizer.
- 28.12.2017: Receive two reviews (one from your supervisor and one from another student). Use the information provided in the reviews to update your report accordingly.
- 24.01.2018: Submit the slides for your presentation to your supervisor and the organizer. The slides should be in Libre-Office or Power-Point format. The slides will be copied on the presentation machine in the seminar-room. No own devices will be allowed.
- 25.01.2018: Talks will be held 09:00 - 13:00 (s.t.) in the seminar room of the institute 186 (Favoritenstr. 9-11 / 5.floor). Presence of the students is mandatory.
- 25.01.2018: Submit your final report to your supervisor and the organizer.
- The quality of the written report is worth 40% of the grade
- The quality of the talk is worth 30% of the grade
- The quality of the review is worth 20% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
- Attendance during the lectures is worth 5% of the grade
Submitting any item after the deadline is penalized by deduction of 15% per day being late. This equates zero points if late by one week.
Plagiarism:All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. You can have further information about referencing here. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.
- LaTeX template to be used for composing the report
- Libre Office or PowerPoint template for the student presentations
- "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" (by E. Gröller).
- "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" (by M. Wimmer).
- "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" (by W. Purgathofer).
Paper search engines
- The Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies
- ACM Digital Library, SIGGRAPH Proceedings
- IEEE Computer Society Digital Library
- Libra Academic Search
- Sci-Hub: Caches papers which are not freely available