INITIAL MEETING: Will be held on Wednesday October 4th 2023 at 11:00 (s.t.) in the Seminar room FAV 05 (Favoritenstrasse 9, Stiege I, 5th Floor, room HA0503).
Slides from the initial meeting are here.
The goal of this seminar is to deepen the previously acquired skills of the bachelor seminar on writing, reviewing, and presenting a state-of-the-art report on a specific topic. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in front of the other students.
Tasks for the students:
Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- An initial list of literature that a student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of the lectures "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" by Professor Eduard Gröller, the lecture "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" by Professor Hannes Kaufmann, and the lecture "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" by Professor Michael Wimmer. You can ask for a waiver in case you have already attended one of these talks (e.g., in other seminars).
- A written state-of-the-art report in the form of a scientific paper. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 pages. The report has to be written in English. See
State of the Art in Surface Reconstruction from Point Clouds by Berger at al.
A Survey on Transit Map Layout –from Design, Machine, and Human Perspectives by Wu et al.
- A written review of one of the surveys of another student.
- A presentation in English of 15 minutes, followed by a discussion of 5 minutes. The slides are to be submitted prior to the talk on TUWEL.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students. This will provide points for your final grade.
- 04.10.2023: Initial meeting at 11:00 - 12:00. In this meeting, the topics will be presented, and assigned.
- 04.10.2023: Confirm your enrolment on TUWEL (during the initial meeting).
- 23.10.2023: Submit the list of literature on TUWEL.
- Attend the following lectures:
- 09.11.2023 at 13:00 (s.t.) - 15:00: "Science and how it works", by Prof. Eduard Gröller at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 16.11.2023 at 13:00 (s.t.) - 15:00: "How to do a presentation", by Prof. Hannes Kaufmann at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 23.11.2023 at 13:00 (s.t.) - 15:00: "How to write a scientific publication", by Prof. Michael Wimmer at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 18.12.2023: Submit the report draft (has to be complete from your side).
- 25.12.2023: Receive a review form and a report from another student. (Practical Tips and Tricks for Paper Writing is helpful for identifying the quality of the report.)
- 08.01.2024: Submit the completed review on TUWEL.
- 15.01.2024: Receive two reviews (one from your supervisor and one from another student). Use the information provided in the reviews to update your report accordingly.
- 21.01.2024: Submit the slides for your presentation on TUWEL. The slides have to be in LibreOffice, PowerPoint, or PDF format. The slides will be copied on the presentation machine in the seminar room. No own devices will be allowed to make sure the process flows without interruptions or technical problems.
- 22.01.2024 Presentations of group 1 will be held from 14:00-17:00. Attendance is mandatory and active participation grants you points. The presentations will be held at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Favoritenstrasse 9, Stiege I, 5th Floor, room HA0503).
- 24.01.2024 Presentations of group 2 will be held from 09:00-13:00 (exact end time depends on number of talks). Attendance is mandatory and active participation grants you points. The presentations will be held at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Favoritenstrasse 9, Stiege I, 5th Floor, room HA0503).
- 24.01.2024: Submit your final report on TUWEL.
- The quality of the written report is worth 45% of the grade
- The quality of the talk is worth 30% of the grade
- The quality of the review is worth 15% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
- Attendance during the lectures is worth 5% of the grade
The deadlines are strict and no exceptions will be made. Each day late deducts 15% from the respective points share, for the draft the report points apply.
All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. For further information about referencing, see this guide and our guidelines. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.