IMPORTANT: As soon as you complete the first part of the course, subscribe to the TUWEL page!!!
The goal of this seminar is to write and present a state-of-the-art report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in a talk in front of their peers.
Tasks for the students
Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- A list of literature that the student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of the lectures "Forschung und wie sie funktioniert" by Professor Eduard Gröller, the lecture "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" by Professor Hannes Kaufmann, and the lecture "Wie schreibt man eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit" by Professor Michael Wimmer. You can ask for a waiver in case you have already attended (one of) these talks.
- A written state-of-the-art report in the form of a scientific paper (in a given LaTeX template). The report must be between 6-8 written pages. The report should be written in English.
- An oral presentation in English followed by a short discussion.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
- 03.11.2023: Initial meeting at 13:00 (s.t.) on Zoom. In this meeting, the topics and the introduction to the second part of the course will be presented.
- 03.11.2023: Make sure you are enrolled on the TUWEL page of the course.
- 06.11.2023: Select a topic on TUWEL.
- 07.11.2023: You will be assigned a topic and a supervisor.
- 10.11.2023: Submit the list of literature on TUWEL.
- Attend the following lectures:
- 09.11.2023 at 13.00 (s.t.) - 15.00: "Science and how it works", by Prof. Eduard Gröller at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 16.11.2023 at 13.00 (s.t.) - 15.00: "How to do a presentation", by Prof. Hannes Kaufmann at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 23.11.2023 at 13.00 (s.t.) - 15.00: "How to write a scientific publication", by Prof. Michael Wimmer at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186).
- 15.12.2023: Submit the intermediate report.
- 19.12.2023, 9:00 - 17:00: The talks will take place at Seminarraum FAV 05 (Seminarraum 186). The presence of all students is mandatory.
- 19.01.2024: Submit your final report.
The seminar is split into two parts. The first (central) part accounts for 17% of the grade. The second part will account for 83% of the grade.
The second part (83% of the grade) consists of:
- The quality of the written report: 50% (12% comes from the intermediate report and the remaining 38% from the final report)
- The quality of the talk: 35%
- Active discussion participation: 5%
- Attendance during the lectures: 10%
All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. For further information about referencing, see this guide and our guidelines. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.