REGISTRATION: Please register for Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten in TISS and for part 2 with our group in TUWEL before the initial meeting. Submitting the literature list will be regarded as the official registration and you will receive a certificate. Example topics from a previous semester are here. See attachments at the bottom for the current topics.
MEETINGs: The initial meeting (participation is mandatory) will be held on 2021-03-22 16:00 via Zoom. Zoom link and topic assignment are in TUWEL. Due to Covid19, the entire course will be distance learning.
COMMUNICATION: Updates and announcements are published via the announcements forum in the TUWEL course. For urgent issues, please write an e-mail.
The goal of this seminar is to write and present a state of the art report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and writing the report. The students are also expected to present their work in a 10-15 minutes talk.
Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output:
- A list of literature that a student intends to review. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- Attendance of 3 lectures.
- A written state of the art report in the form of a scientific paper. See State of the Art in Surface Reconstruction from Point Clouds by Berger at al. as an example. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 written pages. The preferred language is English.
- A written review of another student's report.
- A 10-15 minutes presentation in English followed by 5 minutes discussion.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
The seminar is split into two parts. The first (central) part accounts for 17% of the grade. The second part will account for 83% of the grade. The second part (83% of the grade) consists of:
- The quality of the camera-ready report is worth 40% of the grade
- The quality of the presentation is worth 30% of the grade
- The quality of the review is worth 20% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
- Attendance during the lectures is worth 5% of the grade
All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. You can have further information about referencing and examples of what is plagiarism here. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.
Downloads and Links
Paper search engines
Tips for writing papers and preparing presentations
- How to write a scientific paper
- Important Tips for presentation (in German)
- Tips and Suggestions for Presentations
- A not so short introduction to LaTeX
- Netspeak, one word leads to another.
- Thesaurus, an online engine to search thesaurus.
- Editsaurus, a free online grammar and spelling checker
- Grammarly, a free online grammar and spelling checker
- Overleaf, a free online LaTeX editor
- TeXworks, a free cross-platform LaTex package (Linux, MacOS, Windows)
- Tex Live, a free cross-platform LaTex package (Linux, MacOS, Windows)
- LaTeX Workshop, a free plug-in for Visual Studio Code
- MiKTeX, free distribution of LaTeX for Microsoft Windows
- TexnicCenter is an IDE for developing LaTeX documents on Microsoft Windows