There is a vacancy for up to two PhD Research Fellows in Visualization at the Department of Informatics. Each position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years with the possibility of a 4 th year with compulsory other work (e.g. teaching duties at the Department). The positions are subject to financing through the Department of Informatics and the Trond Mohn Foundation.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or equivalent education in Media Interaction Design (or similar) or Computer Science, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
- Experience in visualization with a focus on at least one of the following areas: humancomputer interaction, information visualization, interaction design, accessibility, or biomedical visualization.
- Interest in applying core visualization and HCI questions to medicine/genetics
- Curious, positive attitude, ability to work well independently or collaboratively
- Knowledge and experience in programming, particularly in developing visual interfaces and/or applications.
- Knowledge of UI/UX and graphic design principles.
- Knowledge of statistics and familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
If your background is not a perfect fit to what we describe above, but you feel like you can make a strong contribution to the project, we would like to hear from you!
About the PhD position
The fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with the possibility for a 4th year, consisting of 25 % compulsory work (e.g. teaching responsibilities at the department) distributed over the employment period. The 4th year is contingent on the qualifications of the candidate and the teaching needs of the department and will be decided by the head of department upon appointment. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD Research Fellow, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. The deadline for applying for admission to the PhD programme at The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences is 2 months after you start your position or after the start of the research project that will lead to the PhD degree. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer
- Exciting and challenging interdisciplinary research on visual analysis and communication applied to medicine and genetics
- Work in an innovative, open-minded, and internationally-oriented environment.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work from home (on agreement with primary supervisor).
- Salary as PhD research fellow (code 1017) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 200 (equivalent to pay grade 54). Further increases in salary are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position (1-2 pages)
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis, or most recent supervisor if the applicant is applying from the private sector.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- Approved documentation of proficiency in English (if required, cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Laura Garrison, Dept. of Informatics, University of Bergen (email@example.com), or Head of Department Inge Jonassen (firstname.lastname@example.org).