The Rendering and Modeling Group at TU Wien offers positions in the field of computer graphics/geometry. The main focus is 3D Spatialization, a research area in the Research Cluster Smart Communities and Technologies (Smart CT). Currently, we offer positions for:
- 1 PostDoc researcher
We are currently open for applications - the position is to be filled as soon as possible, and for a duration of 3 years.
3D Spatialization creates the link between the smart-city infrastructure and the actual 3D world in which a city is embedded. The goal is to perform advanced computation and visualization tasks. Sensors, actuators and users are embedded in a complex 3D environment that is constantly changing. Acquiring, modeling and visualizing this dynamic 3D environment are the challenges we need to face using methods from visual computing and computer graphics.
3D Spatialization aims to make a city aware of its 3D environment, allowing it to perform spatial reasoning to solve problems like visibility, accessibility, lighting, and energy efficiency.
- Efficient acquisition of the ever-changing 3D geometry of a city
- Efficient hierarchical representation of acquired 3D geometry, modeled 3D geometry, and sensors and actuators
- 3D change detection and tracking
- Optimized spatial queries in 3D sensor networks
- Efficient lighting and visibility computations for applications like smart city lighting, sensor placement and range determination, and urban simulation
- Lighting simulation and geometry optimization for city-scale energy reduction
- 3D user interfaces for intuitive interaction with sensors and actuators
A PhD researcher will collaborate with the PostDoc and other PhD researcher from the Research Cluster to work on these scientific problems and publish results in international conferences.
The PostDoc researcher will, in addition, provide a link to the other areas in the Research Cluster, as well as to stake holders (like the city of Vienna).
- Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following: computer graphics, 3D reconstruction, 3D modeling, rendering, geometry processing
- Strong analytical skills
- Good skills in programming (preferably C++, OpenGL, CUDA, Matlab or similar)
- Abilities to work as an independent and flexible researcher in interdisciplinary teams (corresponding to either PhD or PostDoc level)
- Good knowledge of English in speaking and writing
- (for PostDoc): prior publications in the mentioned areas
- Knowledge or strong interest in one or more of the following: point-based graphics, global illumination, real-time rendering
- Good background in optimization methods
- (for international applicants) Basic proficiency in German or willingness to learn
- Experience in supervising of PhD students
What we offer in exchange:
- A creative environment in Vienna, one of the most livable cities in the world
- Freedom to explore both your scientific and creative interests in the course of your work (within the scope of the project goals).
- A young and international team of researchers with an excellent working atmosphere
- A work environment that is well equipped with the newest hardware and software technology
- The possibility to present your research results at international top conferences
- Continuing personal and professional education
The applicant will be funded according to the Austrian Collective Agreement for university staff, allowing you to support a comfortable life in Vienna.
PostDoc: Entry level salary as a postdoctoral researcher is currently 3.590,70 EUR/month gross (40h/week contract), 14 times/year.
The official application should include:
- Motivation letter
- Certificates of degrees and grades in courses taken so far
- list of publications
- A copy of the thesis of the highest obtained degree in PDF form
The application should be sent to Michael Wimmer, preferably in digital form (pdf) via E-Mail.
TU Wien is committed to increasing female employment in leading scientific positions. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given when equally qualified. Furthermore, please note that applicants will not normally be reimbursed for travel costs incurred in connection with this call.