Test Scene Design for Physically Based Rendering
The comparison and testing of physically based rendering algorithms is nowadays often done 'ad hoc', since there is no general and widely established procedure. One essential step towards establishing a more rigorous procedure is the availability of open test scenes and well documented results. Therefore, the goal of this project is to develop a comprehensive test scene database. You will investigate general principles for the design of test scenes that facilitate the comparison of physically based rendering methods. Additionally, those principles will be put to the test by generating an example test scene dataset for the isolated and combined evaluation of different global illumination effects, like indirect illumination, caustics, etc.
- Find and establish general principles for the modular and versatile design of test scenes for physically based rendering.
- Build or generate the test scenes based on those principles.
- Render and evaluate the usefulness of the test scenes and their design.
- Knowledge of English language (source code comments and final report should be in English)
- Knowledge of physically based rendering and 3D modelling software (e.g. Blender) or geometry generation.
The project should be carried out using a 3D modelling software or other suitable tools.