When alternating hot and cold areas in close proximity are touched, a burning heat sensation is perceived. This effect is called the Thermal Grill Illusion. In this topic this and/or other methods of simulating heat in XR applications can be explored.
- Build a (mobile) device that produces the thermal grill illusion (or other heat sensation)
- Should be small enough to be tested on various body positions (mainly hand/arm/face/neck)
- Heat controllable from XR application using e.g. Arduino)
- Wearable form factor
- Use compressed air and electronically controlled pneumatic valves for cooling
- Wireless control from mobile XR device etc.
- Some handicraft skill and basic electronics knowledge are advantageous
- Knowledge of Arduino and Unity is advantageous, but not necessary
The project should be implemented as a physical electro-mechanical prototype. Control of the device should be implemented via Arduino and Unity.