Open topics will be listed on the webpage. Please register in the initial meeting or through email (martin.haidacher#cg.tuwien.ac.at).
Written reports will be uploaded here.
Some written reports from the winter semester 2010 are available. These can be used as a reference to structure your own paper.
Goal of the seminarThe goal of this seminar is to conduct a sound literature review on a specific topic and present a state of the art report. A member of the teaching staff will guide and help students in acquiring the scientific material and structuring the report. A written report in the form of a scientific paper will be produced. The students are also expected to present their work in a 20 minutes talk during the semester. Topics for the seminar will be available in the initial meeting. Students have the option to work in groups of two.
Tasks for the studentsStudents are expected to fulfil certain requirements of the seminar. Teaching staff will evaluate and grade students based on the following output.
- A list of literature, that a student intends to review is to be submitted within the first 14 days of the start of the seminar. Students are not expected to provide a comprehensive list. This document will be regarded as an official seminar registration of the student.
- A written report in the form of a scientific paper. We strongly encourage that the reports are composed in LaTeX. The report must have a minimum of 8 written pages per student. Depending on the student and the supervisor, the prefered language is either German or English, with English as a preference.
- It is mandatory to attend the lecture "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag" of Professor Werner Purgathofer. You can ask for a waiver in case you have already attended that talk.
- A 20 minutes presentation in English language followed by a 5 minutes discussion. A template for the PowerPoint presentation is provided in the Link's section. The slides are to be submitted to the teaching staff after the talk.
- Active discussion participation is expected after the presentation of other students.
All the literature that is reviewed during the seminar has to be placed in the reference section of the report. You can have further information about referencing here. We are all expected to abide by professional scientific ethics and make sure that the work is not plagiarized in any sense.
- Initial meeting of the seminar will be on Monday, 10.10.2011 at 17:00 hrs in the seminar room of the Institute of Computer Graphics and Algorithms.
- List of Literature is to be submitted before Monday, 24.10.2011. This will be regarded as the official acceptance of the topic.
- Date for the lecture of Professor Werner Purgathofer "Wie halte ich einen Vortrag?" will be announced soon.
- Written reports due before Thursday, 08.12.2011.
- Talks will be held on Monday, 19.12.2011 from 9:00 to 17:00 hrs in the seminar room of the Institute of Computer Graphics and Algorithms. Presence of the students is mandatory.
- Written Report is worth 50% of the grade
- Talk is worth 40% of the grade
- Attendance during the talks is worth 5% of the grade
- Active discussion participation is worth 5% of the grade
Topics Offered this Winter
A list of topics will be announced at the beginning of the semester
Topics in Detail
Here you will find a detailes to all topics when the are published on this page
- LaTeX template to be used for composing the report
- PowerPoint template for the student presentations
Paper Search Engines
- The Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies
- Graphics Papers
- ACM Digital Library, SIGGRAPH Proceedings
- IEEE Computer Society Digital Library
- Libra Academic Search