This course aims at providing a deep insight into the research field of Applied Medical Visualization. We will be dealing with defining, analyzing, designing, assessing, and presenting high-level visualization and visual analytics research, with regard to real-life (bio-)medical applications and their requirements.
- Obligatory Registration in TISS before 19.03.2023
- VisMed 1 and Visualisierung 1 are strongly recommended previous knowledge, but not mandatory. There will be a short recap at the beginning of the course of the VisMed1 material (self-study)
- Lectures will be given in English.
- All communication and details will be administered in TUWEL
This year the course will consist of three parts:
- Lectures: Frontal presentations will be held on Mondays at 9.15-11.30. A recap recording of VisMed1 will be provided (you can watch this on your own time if you have not taken VisMed1, otherwise you can skip it).
- Small quizzes: At the beginning of each lecture (except for the first), there will be a small (15 min) online quiz to test the understanding of the content of the previous lecture (at 9.15-9.30). This will account for 35% of your grade.
- Final projects: This will be conducted in the period between 08.05--20.06 in a group of two students. The outcomes of the project will be presented in a dedicated session at the end of the course (on 26.06). The project accounts for 50% of your grade. The presentation accounts for 15%.
The course will be structured based on the book of B. Preim and C.P. Botha "Visual Computing for Medicine" (2nd ed.) (http://medvisbook.com/). Additional reading material will also be given, which will be uploaded on the course's TUWEL page.
This year the course will be assessed as follows:
- Small online quizzes (35% of final grade)
- Final project (work in pairs, 50% of final grade)
- Presentation of the final project (15% of the final grade)
You need a passing grade for each one of the three components above (i.e., doing only the project and presentation is not enough)!
Class participation is rewarded with bonus points.
- > 88 Points ... Sehr Gut (1)
- >= 75 Points ... Gut (2)
- >= 63 Points ... Befriedigend (3)
- >= 50 Points ... Genügend (4)
- < 50 Points ... Nicht Genügend (5)
|Day and Location||Time||Lecture Topic|
|Monday 13.03 (FAV02)||09.15--11.30||Vector Visualization in VisMed|
|Monday 20.03 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 1 + Tensor Visualization in VisMed|
|Monday 27.03 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 2 + Illustrative Visualization|
|Monday 17.04 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 3 + Vascular Visualization|
|Monday 24.04 (FAV02)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 4 + Vis for Endoscopy, Surgery, and Education|
|Monday 08.05 (SEM186)||09.15--12.00||Quiz 5 + Visual Analytics for Healthcare & Project Discussion|
|Monday 15.05 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 6 + Visual Analytics for (Bio-)Medical Applications|
|Monday 22.05 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Quiz 7+ Invited Lectures (tbd)|
|Monday 29.05 (SEM186)||09.15--11.30||Reserve Day|
|Monday 26.06 (SEM186)||09.00--tbd||Final Project Presentations|
- The lectures will be held onsite; please mind that there are two locations (FAV02, SEM186)!
- The lectures will be recorded, but presence is required for the small quizzes (the first 15 mins of each lecture).
- The last two sessions (Invited Lectures and Final Project Presentations) are OBLIGATORY!
- Class participation will be rewarded with bonus points.
(2) Small Quizzes (35%)
- More details about the small quizzes will be given in the first lecture.
- They will consist of 2-3 short questions that can be answered in written within the first 15 mins of the class and will be about the content of the previous lecture.
- For this, you will be required to be in the classroom during the first 15 minutes of the lecture.
(3) Final Project (50%) + Presentation (15%)
- During the lecture of May 8th, there will be a presentation on the project topics.
- Students can form pairs on TUWEL and work on their selected topic between 08.05--20.06.2023.
- Submit an 8-page report on TUWEL by 20.06.2023 at 23.55. More details on the topics and deliverables will follow.
- Give a 15-min presentation on 26.06.2023.