The course consists of the following three components:
- Lectures: 6 regular sets of 2 hours + 1 set of invited lectures of 3 hours
- Small assignments: 4 sets
- Final project
The course will be assessed on a 0–100 scale, as follows:
- 4 small assignments (done individually) = 25 points
- The final project (done in groups of 2 people) = 40 points (implementation, presentation, 2–3 page summary)
- The final written exam: 35 points
- Missing the invited lectures (on Tuesday, Dec 12th) will cost you 10 points.
Schedule and Material
- The course will be structured based on the book of B. Preim and C.P. Botha "Visual Computing for Medicine" (2nd ed.) (http://medvisbook.com/)
- Slides/recordings from the lectures and the assignment will be published in TUWEL.
- The exact schedule for the invited lectures and the project presentation day will be uploaded later.
|1. Introduction & Basics / Acquisition|
Chapter 1–3 in Preim’s book
Monday 09.10.2023, 09:00-11:00
|2. DICOM & Preprocessing|
Chapter 2.3, 4.1–4.2 in Preim’s book
Monday 16.10.2023, 09:00-11:00
|Assignment 1 |
(Acquisition and Preprocessing)
|3. Segmentation & Registration|
Chapter 4.1–4.4 in Preim’s book
Monday 23.10.2023, 09:00-11:00
|Assignment 2 |
|4. Project Get-Together|
Monday 06.10.2023, 09:00-10:00
[ONLINE ON ZOOM: link on TUWEL]
|5. Surface Rendering—Marching Cubes|
Chapter 6 in Preim’s book
Monday 13.11.2023, 09:00-11:00
|Assignment 3 |
|6. Volume Rendering DVR & TFs|
Chapter 7,9 in Preim’s book
Monday 20.11.2023, 09:00-11:00
|Assignment 4 |
|7. Advanced Volume Rendering & Evaluation|
Chapter 8,5 in Preim’s book
Monday 27.11.2023, 09:00-11:00
8. Invited Lectures
|Final Project Presentations|
Monday 08.01.2024, 09:00–12:00
Monday, 22.01.2024, 09:00-11:00
- The assignments will be published on TUWEL every week after the lecture.
- You will have 10 days to work on the assignments individually and to submit your results (also on TUWEL).
- The assignments make up 25 points.
- The final project will be to implement a visualization application, which solves a simple medical or biological problem.
- You will work on your project during the period 06.11.2023–07.01.2024.
- You will be required to hand in the implemented visualization and a 2–3 page summary of your work.
- The outcome will be presented during a dedicated session at the end of the course on 08.01.2024.
- The project makes up 40 points.
- More information about the final projects will be uploaded later on TUWEL and there will be a dedicated session to discuss the topics (see Lecture 4 in the table above).
- The written exam will be on the 22nd of January (Seminarraum FAV05) at 09.00-11.00.
- The exam makes up 35 points.
- The students will have to answer questions based on all lectures.